Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Cinco de Mayo birthday cake!

As always, my dear friend, Jenny (who I like to call Jelly, from an ill-fated flower delivery one time), always has a birthday on Cinco de Mayo.  This year she smartly decided to celebrate said birthday with a progressive dinner.  Being as I don't currently have a home to progress to until the end of the month, I offered to make the birthday cake and bring it over.  Here it is in all its glory:

A few things to note about this cake:
1. Got the recipe from my trusted go-to baking blog, Annie's Eats.  Recipe is here.  
2. While I love everything that she posts and it always turns out great, she likes to misuse the terms "simple", "few pans" and "pantry staples."  Those are not true.  It took me 5 bowls, a lot of extra things I don't have on hand (ahem, bittersweet chocolate and whipping cream--dear goodness, I'm glad I don't have those on a regular basis...).  And it was simple in the fact that it followed any normal cake recipe, which I've obviously done before, but I wouldn't try this for your first time out.  One other complaint--she made this as her "BACK-UP DESSERT."  Who is the swear word has a back-up dessert?  Lots of dollars and time later, I'll stick with the one, thank you.
3. The cake came out of the pan quite nicely, which was a huge accomplishment for me.  I think the butter mixed with cocoa, brushed on with a pastry brush was a good combo.  
4. My only other comment is that it makes WAY more ganache than you need--and the ganache has a pretty bittersweet taste so for those of you liking something sweeter, use sweeter chocolate.  
5. And finally, be prepared to quote "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" like crazy when using a bundt cake recipe.  "There's a hole in this kek, Mari!" "Bun? Bunnn? Bunnnnt?"  "Ah, you fixed it!"  If only I had a flower pot to put in the middle...

1 comment:

  1. This kek has a moth in it... Thanks for making it! Even though crazy Annie said it would require few dishes. Also, I am really loving how the top-down lighting in your pic emphasizes the knobs on my forehead. Yes!

    ReplyDelete