Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Purpose

That's a tricky word. One I usually like to have a handle on. Mainly because I like to be efficient. And why do something if it doesn't have a point? And then God asked me to teach in a public school. And that obvious purpose went right out the window. At least to my half-closed eyes for awhile. I will say there are many times I wonder what the heck God is doing with me, being Teacher Jill. And don't get me wrong, I love my job. But I do often wonder what's up with it.

Working with high schoolers is just so weird sometimes. Okay, most of the time but you tend to get accustomed to it after awhile. For example, I have this group of kids that have been in my study hall for the last 3 years. Some of them call me Mom. They're a rough group of kids and we've been through a lot in the last 3 years. We've had a parent die, one got kicked out of school for some illegal activity, break-ups within the group (oh.my.awkward) and everything in between. And we have this relationship where they tell me everything about everyone else but not themselves (probably because a lot of it is illegal or just super inappropriate.)

Anyway, the point to this post. So I usually don't feel like I make any headway with them because I can't actually share Jesus at school like I so often want to. And don't get me wrong, a lot of these kids go to church, my church even. But then I was at Starbucks the other day. And one of them was eating with his parents at Chipotle and they told him I was over at Starbucks. So he came and sat by me after dinner and then proceeded to talk to me for 45 minutes about his mission trip to an Indian reservation. He talked about how he was so sad to leave, how he didn't feel like he had any purpose to just "hanging out with friends" like he used to, etc. And we talked. Well, mainly he talked and I listened. And marveled at this kid, thinking where did this come from?

So maybe that's the point. I build relationships with these kids and hope and pray that they know I'm there when they need me to be. And I know that's true deep down but sometimes it's nice to be reminded with something concrete. I'm not sure I even said anything to him that was earth-shattering or worthwhile at all. But I listened. And he was a 17 year old boy who never shares about more than what video game he's playing, who decided to share his heart with me. God is good.

1 comment:

  1. hahahahaha i just notice that you show up at "tra-la from the bra..." in my reader list. luuuurve!

    ReplyDelete