Do I have ADD or am I just a huge nerd?
Origin of this question: Tabitha just told me about another weirdly printed shirt that she thought I would like. (Because I have an affinity for weird prints...airplanes, birds, and owls now co-exist in my closet.) So then I told her I wanted a dress with a pterodactyl print. She then told me only I would think of that/know how to spell pterodactyl. Which is probably true.
But THEN I wondered why silent letters exist. And do they call them silent letters? Or is there another grammatical term? So of course I google it because I already memorized the French IPA pronunciation guide this afternoon. And there are a few kinds of silent letters and in this case it's called a "dummy letter". Duh.
And then I thought, remember when I took phonetics in Spanish? And I practiced different sounds with my the placement of my tongue? And my teacher always had pit stains? And then I saw him (Errapel Mejias-Bicandi) in a bar in Bilbao one night while I was studying in Spain. And he always had crazy professor hair. And there was also a random stray dog in the bar like there was everywhere else. Yeah, that was weird.
So I'm not sure what it is. I'm thinking it's more of the nerd origin because I do at least somewhat stay with a thought for more than 5 seconds...at least long enough to learn a fact about it. (And Ash, I know you're mocking me right now and saying, "I love facts!") Because I said that once in all seriousness in a somewhat nasal voice...and now we're off topic again. You can be the judge.
this whole post is a little ADD... and yes i was mocking you in my mind while I read it...and also laughing a LOT
ReplyDelete