Wednesday, September 28, 2011

For Ashley and Joy

As most of you know, this little thing called the Norris musical takes over my life every year for a solid 6 weeks.  I mostly love it, it's a great creative outlet for me, and it's something that I've worked really hard to build for the past 5 years.  This was the 5th installment in ridiculousness of sets and costumes and 80+ casts.  Some day I'll learn to downsize but that day is not today nor is it probably in the near future.  My padre is one amazing dad for many reasons but one of them is the fact that he builds all of my sets.  And to be really honest, doesn't really tell me "no".  When I said to him this year, "Dad, here are the pictures I'm thinking of but I want it to be so pretty and awesome, that the crowd ahhs when you pull back the curtain."  And at least on that end, the show was a success.  (It was in other ways as well but I probably won't get into it because that would be weird.)

The good news about The Sound of Music is that I never actually got tired of listening to the songs.  That almost never happens.  (Put it this way:  by performance 5 of Wizard of Oz last year, I was asking if Dorothy was home yet and if never wanted to hear the 5 chords of "I'm off to See the Wizard" EVER again.)  It also is just an enjoyable story with cute kids to boot.  So here it is in pictures for my 2 dear friends that couldn't see it but were sending their love from thousands of miles away.  Love you both.  (And yes, I'll send the DVD but I think it's weird that you'll watch it.  It IS just a high school musical after all...not exactly a cinematic experience but choose your poison, I suppose.)

Do Re Mi

The 80+ cast and crew doing bows.  (The stained glassed windows were still out from the closing scene.)  



The ending "So Long Farewell" part at the festival before they escape.

Wide shot of "The Lonely Goatherd" and the set.  Easily my most favorite part of the show.
 Close up of the marionettes.  We had a mom make them over the summer and now we're telling her she has to rent them online.  (Because they don't exist.)  They were amazing.
 The kids lined up in their costumes.  So stinking cute.
 Good picture of the full stage.  Yes, that's crown molding, and yes, I made my wonderful dad chop the two pillars down after he made them.  He obliged even though it was more work.  What can I say?  I'm a perfectionist and I see things a certain way.  (Thankfully, that trait 100% comes from him so at least he gets it.)

My solution to the kids playing in the trees during "Do Re Mi".  It was surprisingly another favorite part.  It was also the solution to not renting a backdrop.  The hills were alive with trees from a pasture and your imagination.  Thank you.


There you have it.  They're not in order but I'm tired and I don't think it really matters.  Miss you both dearly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment