Thursday, September 29, 2011

well huh

This conversation ensued today:

Me:  (After seeing a student sleeping.  Mind you, class has been in session for a total of 5 minutes.  Apparently the journal entry was THAT boring today.)  Hey, what's with the tired business?
Student:  OMG, I got like 2 hours of sleep last night.
Me:  Oh yikes.  Why?
Student:  I don't even know!

5 minutes later...same student.
Student:  Ummm, are we like doing anything important today?
Me:  What kind of question is that?  I'm not sure I even know how to answer.
Student:  Well, can I go to the nurse's office and take a nap?
Me:  Yeah, no.  I'm not letting you skip class to take a nap.  (Ahem, especially when you're barely passing my class but I'm sure this entire scenario is unrelated.)
Student:  But I'm soooo tired.
Me:  I'm very sorry but you're going to have to suck it up.

Now to be fair, I'm sure this student is tired as it's homecoming and there is lots going on, etc.  And also fair that she would like to take a nap in the nurse's office.  I have certainly done that in my student days.  Especially when I didn't want to change my clothes for aerobics.  However, at least LIE and tell me you don't feel well.  I would have been none the wiser and would have let you go to the nurse to take this much needed nap. But to ask in front of class and blatantly want me to allow you to skip?  Get some street smarts, student. Plz and thx.

No comments:

Post a Comment