Friday, January 20, 2012

a new name

Or another saga in the life of teenage boys.  I have some lovely students every morning and one of the things they "aren't allowed to do" is call one another by the name of the girl the other one is interested in.  Mainly I say it's not allowed because one of the girls is in the class and seriously, how embarrassing.  Oh yes, and these three also fake "crack their voice" to make fun of one another when it actually happens.

So after we had that conversation the other day about being disruptive (read: you're pissing me off so stop it), they generally stopped but just couldn't hold it in at the end of class.  And called me Jake.  And then decided they were going to start calling all of their teachers by their significant others' names.  I just rolled my eyes and told them they were annoying.

However, I will say that at least they're using names which is more than I can say for the other blogs that I read.  What is with the recent obsession of calling their husbands "hubs"??  It.drives.me.crazy.  At first it was like, "Oh, clever, I guess..." but then I see it 100 times in print and I end up with the following conclusions:  A. He has a name. You could just use that.  B. We probably know that name because we read your blog every day. C. It's definitely the new "cool" word to use.  It's okay if you disagree.  This annoyance gets filed under the tab of hating when people use acronyms like "GBR" or shorten things to "ppl, pry, ikr, lol, prolly, gonna" etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment