Don't continue reading if you're easily offended. But if you're friends with me, you're probably not easily offended.
Well, friends, the time of year has come for Spanish 2 students to learn irregular verbs in the past tense. HOW is that inappropriate you may ask? Just read the following conversation that took place yesterday and today. (And then you'll know why I sometimes want to voluntarily punch myself.)
DAY 1
Student: Weezy (yep, that's what they're calling me these days...or Young Weezy or that with some rap, etc. It's special.) Can you come help me?
Me: Sure, what's the problem?
Student: How do you say this verb? (as he starts to giggle. Yes, he giggled.)
Me: (after reading and saying ahhh crap in my head.) Well, that's "me puse". (may poo-say if you don't speak Spanish. Now say that out loud to get the full effect. Are you seeing where this is headed yet??)
Student: That's what I thought. (He then LITERALLY falls off his chair ONTO THE GROUND from laughter. I just stare at him and say, "Ok, well neat.")
DAY 2
We learn how to say the above verb and they all start laughing.
Students: Oh my gosh, how disgusting. (chorus of "me puse" all around. What music to my ears....)
Me: Oooook, this happens every year. Nothing new. You guys are COOL. Back to what it means, it means 'I put on shoes, shirt, etc.' (I'm also laughing because they just keep giggling. This is not helping matters.)
Student: I know how to remember this: Where do you put it?...
Me: Don't finish that sentence (with me puse) You're gross. Let's move on.
Oh, the joys of Spanish class. We're all really mature. The other fan favorite is jugué (pronounced who-gay) They say, "Jugué? YOU gay!" I'm probably the worst teacher in the world.
I love this so much. And no, it sounds like maybe you are the best teacher in the world, not the worst.
ReplyDelete