So one Saturday, (after we had journeyed to the fabric stores), we set upon this goal. Ashley tutored me in the ways of her sewing machine and following a pattern because let's be honest, Jill's 4-H sewing lessons from her dear grandma in 7th grade weren't really sticking at this point. Some pics of such endeavor:
Picking out the fabric. Ashley being super helpful in that first pic. No, I do not want to make an apron out of lamé. (And the only reason I know what that fabric is called is because I had to costume 30 people as spoons and plates in Beauty and the Beast. And then make the executive decision that no boy would be such a character...for my sake and theirs. Who wants to see high school boys in skin-tight silver lamé tights? No one.)
The pattern, sent by dear Patti. Me trying to trace the pattern. This is ultimately what I'm not good at. Well, that and mainly the cutting, using right-handed scissors. Yes, I am left-handed. NO, that is not a handicap (Ashley, Patti, Patti, Grandma). However, as there are never left-handed scissors, I use the right-handed ones. And sometimes this is still challenging for me, okay?? (It's just backwards in my head. And then I don't cut straight...which is a problem later on...)
Aha! My teeny hobbit hands are finally useful! Turning out the fabric from a really small space.
In action. No pictures of the face because I looked gross all day. Plus it was super hot but you can't have the fan on or it blows away your pieces. Thus, these super awesome shots. But it's all part of the process, right?
And the finished products! Now, I am a perfectionist (even if I'm not when I'm cutting) so there are a few flaws on each of these that drive me absolutely crazy. But there's nothing I can do except do it better next time. I find that annoying but probably just part of the whole learning process. At any rate, it was fun and I'm hoping to continue so I can push past the point of sucking and be somewhat decent.
No comments:
Post a Comment