Sunday, March 13, 2011

27 dresses

Well, not really.  But I thought the bridesmaid dresses needed some documentation.  Maybe because I was feeling inspired after I had to go to a gross bridal store on Saturday that made me never want to be a bride.  I went with Katie, who had to pick up a dress, and thankfully she was feeling just as claustrophobic as I was.  Now don't get me wrong, I love a good dress.  But there is just something about lots of lace and tulle and puffiness that just creates a gag reflex in me.  And then it makes me want to run far, far away from anything that resembles "that" kind of wedding.  So here are some of the dresses.  A few are missing (because one is still circulating as a prom dress and a couple are at my parents' house.)  And not all of these are awful.  In fact, the first two I actually like and would ACTUALLY WEAR AGAIN.  Probably because they didn't come from one of "those" kinds of stores.  Special props to my dear friend, Lindsey aka Rosie, for supporting this endeavor.  Aka, taking crappy pictures while she drank her glass of wine.  They are all SUPER flattering but I'm posting them anyway.  Please, try not to be jealous.

I like this one.  And I have in fact wore this again.  Probably because I got to pick it out myself and buy it from a real store.

I also like this one.  But Lindsey must have been on something when taking it or I suddenly gained 100 pounds in one picture.  So that's nice.

I don't mind this one but I can't wear it over because, again, it came from a bridal store.  And those just never promise good fabric.  But good news is that I found a lip gloss!  So that was worth putting it back on.

Now, this one, admittedly doesn't look so bad.  But may I remind you that a 100% Dutch girl doesn't in fact look good in bright red in the dead of winter?  And the muff...well, let's just say, I found another lip gloss in the purse pocket of the muff.

Hands down, my favorite.  The shawl was my favorite because I used it as a turban, a bath towel, pretended I was naked with it in front of the camera, etc.  What can I say, waiting for pictures is BORING.  (And don't think I didn't have some fun with that muff above.  I believe my friend, Jenny and I, pretended they were little sheep that we were tending with our candle lighter stick thingys.  I think I also pretended it was a little dog and talked to it for most of the day. And may have swung it around on the dance floor as well.  Along with the shawl.  ALWAYS give me a shawl, I'll promise you a good time with it...or at least a spectacle.)

Moral of the story...that's a lot of dresses.  And this could've been a lot worse but thankfully a lot of my friends have an affinity for black so that usually works out well.  I think the general rule when one is picking out a bridesmaid dress should be, "What color would I decorate a living room with?"  Answer: generally a neutral with maybe a splash of color.  Hence, one would usually NOT pick a bright pink couch.  So if you love pink, maybe do a shorter dress or keep it to accessories or something?  Oh well.  This mainly inspires me to get my butt to the gym and wish I was laying out but unfortunately, my ankle is worse than ever.  So here I will sit instead, blogging.

3 comments:

  1. OMG Laughing so hard. I would not even dream of putting some of mine back on! I like the comparison to the living room. Good rule to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a pic of us both in the red dress to link up to, but alas, I have cursed and banned all said photos from being seen by anyone else's eyes ever, ever, ever again. I guess Scottish girls have plenty in common with the Dutch. However, the having-fun-to-looking-good ratio was probably the highest in that damn red dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only did it for the laughs, Hannah, because it was semi-detrimental to my self-esteem.

    Damn red dress is right, Jen. But VERY high fun ratio!

    ReplyDelete